Monday, December 26, 2011

Edible Gifts - Kahlua Truffles


Kahlua Truffles

One of the benefits of working with a food blogger is that my colleagues sometimes get to taste the fruits of each weeks labour. This Christmas, I thought I would make something just for them. I decided to try out my own variation of rum truffles that I used to make as a kid, instead of rum, using Kahlua. The truffles are super rich so a few are plenty and one bite keeps your chocolate intake up over the holidays! They aren't exclusively a Christmas chocolate. In the past I've made them for Valentine's Day gifts and filled Easter Eggs with them, so they're pretty versatile - for any day of the year where Chocolate is an appropriate gift (read, any day of the year!) I chose a festive presentation and gave everyone a little box decorated in Christmassy style!

I learnt (the hard way) that a lower grade percentage of chocolate is better so used a 40% cacao, not higher (for the successful attempt!)

Kahlua Truffles
This makes about 70 truffles

600g dark chocolate
85g butter
6 egg yolks
6 teaspoons of Kahlua
Cocoa Powder (for decorating)
Truffle cases

  • Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler until smooth;
  • Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly
  • Gradually add in one egg yolk at a time whisking as you go blending in the mixture so it's smooth and silky;
  • After adding in the egg yolks, add the Kahlua gradually too whisking as you add;
  • Chill in the fridge overnight;
  • Using a melon baller or a small ice cream scoop, scoop out enough mixture to make into little balls;
  • Roll in cocoa powder to lightly cover;
  • Place in truffle cases.


2 comments:

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things said...

These truffles sound delicious! I love kahlua.

Claire @ Claire K Creations said...

Friends of food bloggers are very lucky people!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...