Our Easter camping trip was no exception and we had a menu rivalling any Easter Sunday roast! Marinated butterflied lamb on the BBQ was the main dish, accompanied by BBQed corn, stir fried veg and Tuscan potatoes.
4 cups of Self Raising Flour
1 heaped spoon of Brown Sugar
A large pinch of salt
175g of sultanas
2 spoons butter
Lots of foil
1. Build you campfire and get some embers glowing!
2. Add the dry ingredients (including the sultanas) to a large bowl. Melt the butter over the campfire (a little foil basket works a treat!)
3. Pour the melted butter into the dry ingredients and mix in
4. Break an egg into a mug and lightly beat, add to the milk
5. Mix the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients till all combined
6. Knead till reaches a smooth dough consistency and it holds together without crumbling
To cook wrapped around the stick: Roll out a long sausage using 1/4 of the mixture and wrap around a long stick. Hold over the campfire turning till firm and cooked.
To cook in the embers: Wrap the dough in foil (so there are 5 or 6 layers) and place the parcel in the hot embers. Takes about 30 mins, depending on the heat!
Whilst not as comfortable not convenient as our own kitchen, there's a lot more space and it's a lot more adventurous to cook our camping meals under the stars in the vast open bush of Australia!